CurioEd Child Protection Policy (CCPP)
Version 1.1 (updated 11.02.2022)
CurioEd is committed to protecting the safety and well-being of children. CurioEd aims to create a 'child safe’ environment at CurioEd, where children are respected, protected, empowered, and active in their own protection, and where all CurioEd employees and its associates are skilled, confident, competent, and well supported in meeting their responsibilities. CurioEd is committed to actively safeguarding children from harm and ensuring children’s rights to protection are fully realized.
Thus, CurioEd has adopted this CurioEd Child Protection Policy (CCPP) requiring organization representatives to conduct themselves appropriately with the children across any type of interaction. This policy aims to define the behaviors and actions that constitute child abuse. Additionally, it will lay out the organization’s expectations for behavior, the scope of application of the policy and guidelines for reporting and redressal.
Definitions under the Child Protection Policy
A child is defined as any person under the age of 18 years.
Child abuse or maltreatment constitutes all forms of physical and/or emotional ill-treatment, sexual abuse, neglect or negligent treatment or commercial or other exploitation, resulting in actual or potential harm to the child’s health, survival, development, or dignity in the context of a relationship of responsibility, trust or power (Source: A report of the consultation on child abuse prevention, WHO, Geneva, 29-31 March 1999, defines child abuse as).
Scope of the Child Protection Policy
The Child Protection policy applies to everyone working for or associated with CurioEd. It includes:
- CurioEd Employees - including all part-time and full-time employees
- CurioEd Associates - including teachers/mentors, volunteers, interns, or any type of independent contractors
Code of Conduct: Do’s and Don’ts
- All CurioEd Employees and Associates shall ensure that:
- Every Child is treated with empathy and respect, regardless of his/her race, color, gender, sexuality, language, religion, religious belief, heritage, political/other opinion, national/ethnic/social origin, or property/disability/birth/other status.
- An atmosphere that fosters the development of children through your actions and words is established.
- Professional relationships are always maintained with children.
- No gifts in kind or cash are exchanged. In cases where any financial assistance is needed, financial support should come from CurioEd, if approved thereof.
- A culture of openness exists so that issues or concerns can be raised and discussed, and a sense of accountability exists at all times.
- All CurioEd Employees and Associates shall NOT:
- Use language or behavior towards Children that is inappropriate, harassing, abusive, sexually provocative, demeaning, intimidating, offensive, discriminatory, illegal, unsafe, or culturally insensitive.
- Use corporal punishment, hit, or otherwise physically assault, or abuse children.
- Act in ways intended to shame, humiliate, belittle or degrade children or otherwise perpetrate any form of emotional abuse. E.g. via language used and actions.
- Develop any form of relationship or arrangement (financial or otherwise) with Children which could in any way be deemed to be exploitative or abusive.
- Discriminate against, show differential treatment, or favor particular children to the exclusion of others.
- Share with or show Children (electronically or in any other form) any inappropriate content including pornographic material or material encouraging crime, violence, terrorism, racism, sexism, self-harm, suicide, cruelty, and gambling.
- Use or encourage the use of alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, or other intoxicating substances while interacting with Children and from providing such intoxicating substances to Children.
For minor offenses, which are non-life threatening and/or non-sexual violations, the following penalties shall be meted accordingly:
- First offense: Warning and reprimand
- Second offense: Suspension of employment, association, membership, or volunteers for a period of not less than 3 months
- Third offense: Termination of contract/employment
For major offenses, which are life-threatening and sexual violations, the following penalties shall be meted accordingly:
- Automatic indefinite suspension pending investigation on the matter
- If found guilty: termination with a perpetual ban from enlistment, or any form of association and the filling of appropriate legal actions.
Any incident can be escalated directly to the co-founders at firstname.lastname@example.org. CurioEd is committed to protecting the interest, privacy, identity, and rights of whistleblowers.
Version 1.0 (updated 11.02.2022)